OnRamp Program Overview
Throughout the 10 weeks, you will be taught innovation techniques to create a new project based on a core problem identified by our corporate sponsors. You will start by obtaining a core task from your company. Then you will begin customer validation by interviewing potential customers who might have this problem. After your interviews are complete, you will consolidate your data to understand the root problem and customer pain points. From here, your team will develop a new innovation product. You will then have the opportunity to pitch this idea back to the sponsors for further funding and future employment.
The Summer 2019 Cohort will be hosted by the J.M. Smuckers Company
- OnRamp is a one-of-a-kind fail-safe entrepreneur model. You are getting paid to learn how to create a start-up
- You are working alongside future employers to begin to build a relationship for full-time positions
- Your project will be creating real value; this opportunity will provide you with the skillset to create the next big product
A lot of students feel as if they cannot come up with good ideas, but want to learn the innovative process of product development and creating start-ups. The beauty of this program is that you will learn the steps it takes to create those million dollar ideas.
The OnRamp program focuses purely on creating viable ideas from data collection. You will not be prototyping or be physically creating a product.
All majors are encouraged to sign up! The most innovative creations come from a diverse background of students.
Yes! Students accepted into the program will be retained as an intern of CIS and be paid an hourly rate of $9.55 during the 10 weeks of operation (with a weekly cap of 10 hrs/wk).
If you are already employed by the university, the 10 hrs/wk for the OnRamp will count towards your maximum number of hours per week. Please check with your supervisor if applying for the OnRamp would be acceptable.
You will be working in a team of 4 students that will be selected from your scheduled 1-hour meeting times on Monday / Tuesday.
Monday / Tuesday Meetings will be at Mason Hall
Wednesday Meetings will be at 99p Labs (1255 Kinnear Rd)
Transportation will be provided on Wednesdays.
If you have a conflict on Monday - In your application you will mark down the times you are available.
If you have a conflict on Wednesday - Unfortunately you will be unable to participate in the program. Please email the Program Manager (email@example.com) if you wish to obtain more details on future innovation sprints.
Responsibilities & Desired Skills
- Mandatory meetings on Wednesday and mandatory meetings on either Monday or Tuesday (See Schedule Below)
- The entire cohort will have a 2 hour meeting time every Wednesday (5:00pm - 7:00pm)
- You will indicate your available times on Mon/Tues (1 hour sessions between 3:00pm - 7:00pm) in your application
- If accepted, you will be notified of your scheduled 1 hour time slot
- Commitment to working 10 hr./wk. on your project with your team members
- If you miss more than 3 meetings you will be subject to termination
- Data collection in the field by obtaining customer validation through interviews
- Learning innovation skills to transform your given problem into an MVP
- Lead within your team and foster an innovation environment for futuristic concepts
- 1 Page Executive Summary & Slide Deck
- Demo Day Poster for Final Presentation on April 19th
- Ability and desire to work in a fast paced start-up environment
- High communication skills with peers and future customers
- Good work ethic, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Able to operate with minimal direction and supervision
Monday Times will be according to your assigned time (Mason Hall)
- 3:30pm – 4:30pm
- 4:30pm – 5:30pm
- 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- 6:30pm – 7:30pm
Wednesday Meetings will be from 5:30pm – 7:30pm at 99p Labs (1255 Kinnear Rd)
|Wed||May 29th||Idea Presentation|
|Mon||June 3rd||Customer Persona|
|Wed||June 5th||Interview Prep|
|Mon||June 10th||Customer Locator|
|Wed||June 12th||Validation Plan + Resources|
|Mon||June 17th||OOO Validation|
|Wed||June 19th||Day In The Life|
|Mon||June 24th||OOO Validation|
|Wed||June 26th||Resource Day|
|Mon||July 1st||Interview Organization|
|Wed||July 3rd||4th of July|
|Mon||July 8th||Data Insights|
|Wed||July 10th||MVP Creation|
|Mon||July 15th||Matrix Checklist|
|Wed||July 24th||Deliverable Creation|
|Mon||July 29th||Mock Presentations|
|Wed||July 31st||Demo Day|